A popular blogger shares what it takes to be a master in the industry - ArnoldDonSoo

Post Top Ad

A popular blogger shares what it takes to be a master in the industry

A popular blogger shares what it takes to be a master in the industry

Share This

Jia Singh, the brains behind Wandering For Wellness, talks about how she made it as a successful blogger.



The journey to self-discovery is often long and tedious, but there are those with the gift and courage to introspect from a young age. Through her health and travel blog, Wandering For Wellness, Jia Singh has worked her way to a holistic way of life while understanding her own strengths and abilities along the way. The "body positive writer" shares her insights on nutrition, fitness, travel, beauty and wellness on her blog, and accompanies them with fashionably shot photographs.
Speaking with FEMAIL, she reveals, "I've been a freelance writer for almost eight years now and have contributed to some of the best magazines and websites on travel and wellness. I wanted to be able to share my journey on a platform that I could control. Family and friends urged me to start this blog in 2015 because there was a real dearth of health and wellness blogs in India."
Singh took inspiration from the likes of writers Jessica Sepel, Ella Woodward, Hannah Bronfman and Kriss Carr, who write and inspire readers with workout videos, recipe hacks and eco-conscious beauty tips.
Meanwhile, Singh's reach has grown quickly over the past year, and staying true to her oeuvre - of reviewing spa getaways, medical tourism, Ayurvedic immersions and yoga retreats - has helped carve a niche. Revealing her strategy, she states, "I have had to diversify and reinvent myself quite a bit in the last couple of years to keep up. While I started out writing food reviews and nutrition bits for the most part, I have ventured into the world of travel and wellness writing. I post on Instagram twice a day - maybe three times if I'm in a place that's exceptionally beautiful - and I try and get a blog post in every three days or so."

As expected, Singh's tastefully shot swimwear images attract their share of admirers, but she has learnt to work around it. "I used to be very sensitive about what people would say to me on social media for wearing swimwear. Many tears and several rants later, I realised that this was outside my control. Nothing I do will ever be able to make everyone happy and I have learnt how to find my peace with it."
She adds, "Every time I feel bothered about someone hating on social media, I remember the quote that Dita Von Teese was known for - 'You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world and there's still going to be someone that hates peaches.' So as long as you aren't offending anyone and you are confident in your own skin, I say go ahead."
Staying fit goes hand in hand, which she credits to the philosophy of "mindful eating and listening to your body". She states, "I have realised that doing away with rules and allowing yourself to eat intuitively by listening to your body serves well. If I crave something salty or sweet, I now indulge myself without guilt. It takes the pressure off food, since people tend to punish themselves for not sticking to a dietary regimen, which is harmful in the long run."

While her blog is gaining popularity, the financial state hasn't always been as rosy, as she shares, "Everyone who has ever written for a blog, website or magazine knows very well that writers aren't paid well and often writing alone isn't enough to pay rent and salaries. The money isn't fantastic particularly when you are starting out but if you are committed, you can find different ways to earn money while writing."
Yet the journey has been satisfying, with much to learn over time. "Professionally, I have realised that it is okay to not know what you want to do with your life. A lot of us are unkind to ourselves and subject ourselves to a lot of unnecessary pressure by demanding answers we don't have yet. I, too, have done that until I realised that it wasn't worth it and I was only hurting myself in the process."
As for her personal lessons, Singh looks at the positives in situations. "I have learnt that we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. The two things that have changed my mood, health and outlook on life have been the joys of solo-travelling and the bliss one experiences post a yoga session. I was apprehensive about travelling alone to parts of the world that I hadn't frequented because I was scared of the unknown, but today, I wouldn't have it any other way."

Singh has a few words of advice for other bloggers. "Don't give up your full time job before you start making money as a blogger or an influencer," she says, adding, "Stick to your niche. You won't become successful overnight but if you keep working at it and stay authentic- success will come. Also, remember to post only good quality content. It is okay if you can't post everyday as long as your content game is strong."
Communicating and networking are also important in her book. "Try and see how people respond when you share your story with the world. Interact with other bloggers from different walks - even in the virtual space, networking is extremely important to make friends and be inspired by different accounts. Every once in a while, scroll through your feed and comment on accounts that inspire you and tell them why. Pay them a compliment but really mean it and follow up with a message to meet or chat. This goes a long way in establishing relationships, even in the online space."
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Pages